Sunday, April 6, 2008

Where did "J5" come from?

Before I begin I will flash the following disclaimer: I guarantee that this will not be the most exciting read in the world. It will however help clear the air when it comes to the subject of where I received my nickname. 

J5 is, I believe, the end of an evolution. An evolution of nicknames that began ten years ago during my junior year of high school. For some unknown reason a teammate of mine took notice of the knuckles on my hands. Jokingly he said something to the effect of, "Your knuckles are huge... it makes it look as though you have five thumbs." To be honest, I think my hands / knuckles look one hundred percent normal but to him this was not the case. Thus my first true nickname: Johnny Five Thumbs. I never thought of it then, but now it sounds as though it was stolen from a Dick Tracy character.  

Johnny Five Thumbs evolved though. Through the years I've heard them all. J-5000, Fives, Five, J-Fizzle, Fizz... the list goes on. I think most people feel as though J-Five rolls off the tongue well so it's been the one that stands above the rest. Honestly, I think more people know me by my nickname than my true name. Does it bother me? Of course not. I have a terrible time with names and anything that makes plain ol' John Scott more memorable is OK by me.

Cheers, 

John Scott (AKA J5)  

No comments: