Friday, March 21, 2008

Grills and Favorite Foods!

Sarah and I recently purchased a new Weber Spirit 310 grill! We're super excited to fire it up though we haven't purchased the propane tank yet! There's something about warm weather that makes me hungry for grilled food. I'm a big fan. So far, the best things I've had from home grills (in no particular order) - 

- Pork Tenderloin from The Beef Mart here in Valpo.  
- My brother Jerry's potato coins and grilled asparagus. 
- Travis Hawkins' Jalepeno burgers (not as spicy as you may think). 
- Favorite BBQ sauce, Sweet Baby Ray's... also a fantastic slogan "The Sauce is the Boss!!"

While we're on the subject... other interesting / good things and places to eat -

Burgers: 
A half-pound hunk of beef called The Deanburger at a hole in the wall called The Grill in LaCrosse, IN. There's only one stoplight in all of LaCrosse and The Grill is on the main drag. If you miss it you should get your eyes checked. You wouldn't think a run-down joint could provide such a great piece of meat but I can assure you, the Deanburger is excellent! If you eat two your name goes on the wall and you're awarded a coupon for a free third. The record is currently 9 held by Carl Caudill. The man also ate breakfast and pie that morning. Good God. That's a heart attack waiting to happen folks.

Also on the list of great burgers - CJ's Pub located in South Bend, IN. Travis (aforementioned Jalepeno Burger chef) and his Dad took me there on a trip to Notre Dame University. I guess it's been newly renovated after some guy smashed his car into and through the side of the building. If you're in town for a game check it out... it maybe packed but the food is worth the wait!

I can't end this without mentioning Portillo's. Fries: The crinkled type with the perfect amount of salt. I recommend them with ketchup. Also, if you like Italian Beef, Portillo's is famous for it. If you're reading from afar you can have it delivered to you although I recommend fresh. Some Portillo's have a pasta joint called Barnelli's in them... try the twice baked spaghetti. The best!

Favorite restaurant BBQ sauce: Nick's near where I used to work had great BBQ sauce. I'm not sure how healthy it is for you but, hey, we're talking about BBQ sauce here! Nick's pulled pork sandwich is smothered in the stuff and is highly recommended. 

If you have any favorite foods, restaurants, and or recipes please send them our way as we're always on the lookout for great foods! All apologies if this blog was a bit scattered. I'll do my best to focus on keeping my next one uh... focused.

No comments: